www.wiz-war.com Home | About Us | Contact Us
Play Styles Poll Results Rules Cards Links Message forum FAQ Email Search Pictures

WizWar.com
All Things WizWar

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Wiz-War and contract cancellations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Jolly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Computer Wiz-War and contract cancellations Reply with quote

Hi, all.
The good news is, with some negotiation, in a few weeks I should have a contract in hand canceling the Chessex contract and replacing it with one from a much prompter company which shall, for the moment, remain nameless. But, WW will be out in less than 2 years once the contract is signed, and it'll look *nice*.

The downside is that they want exclusive computer rights. I've thumbed through my contracts and figured out what's cancellable and what isn't, but I wanted to verify that nobody out there thought they had an agreement with me that I didn't know about.

Naturally, this means that any "wild" versions of online WW out there should dry up and disappear by Jan 2010, which is when I've told the company that they can gain exclusivity, since the numerous non-exclusive contracts I've got going right now should be terminated by then.

So, anyone know of any commitments of mine out there (i.e., contracts or permissions) that exist, or can't be closed by then?

Tom Jolly
skletapocket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news, Tom! Any chance the new game will have figures for the wizards instead of cardboard standups?
Darth Cestual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting Tom. I've been a fan of WizWar since around 1990 when I was introduced to it. I've found the prepainted D&D minis work great and can inspire ideas for new monsters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: figures? Reply with quote

I've got no problem with stand ups. They lie down more easily. Just make it durable.
Tom Jolly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Miniatures Reply with quote

Im pretty sure the new set will have some nice miniatures, if the Company-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named has their way.

Tom
WhoThatGuy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for miniatures - painted ones even. I just don't have the time to paint all the miriad miniatures that come with boardgames now-a-days (although I manged to paint some).
skletapocket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have minis, make them plastic, so they can be more easily affected by Thumb of God.
Tokyo_Yank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Looking forward to the print version more than the online stuff since, well, online beer & pretzels don't taste as good.

PS. Any word on expansion cards, or new cards, in the initial release?

PPS. Re mini's, in case nameless company is reading, I hope the minis reflect the fun/light-hearted feel to the game. My group tends to get silly about describing the spells and carried items/absconded treasure/etc. Also, I hope the boards are good size for normal minis & the little figurines / bottle caps / junk I've grown to associate with the game..
martimer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Expansions? Reply with quote

Tom,

Looking forward to the new version. I hope all is going well with the republication by company X.

Just out of idle curiosity (and sorry if I missed this) are any of the expansions going to see inclusion? Wiz-War, in addition to being a terrific game, is the only game I have any published contributions, and I miss being 'in print'.
Naloomi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Do you have any idea how this will work with the Wiz War boards setup available through Hirst Arts?

I'm asking because I've recently acquired mold 88 from Hirst Arts (which is the mold used to make the Wiz War wall pieces) in hopes of making my own Wiz War boards.

Naloomi

Give us a try - we believe that our quality is unbeatable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ulkatur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there will be no problem with that. The mold is not specifically designed to build WizWar boards, it's only a way of using it. Plus, it's only an addition to make the game better-looking, there is no interference into anyone's copyrights. They've also got guides how to build Descent boards, so there will be no problem with WizWar either.

Besides, such articles are promoting the game - after all, that's how I found out about WizWar in the first place - looking through Hirst Arts' articles
Tom Jolly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Wiz-War expansions Reply with quote

Well, the contract with The Company Who Shall Not Be Named is all signed as of a few months ago (I'm slow in the "delivering news" department). So now it's just "wait for publication" in 2011. As for expansions, I have no idea how much of anything they're going to incorporate from the basic game and the 3 expansion sets (one never published). They've got an awful lot of material to choose from, but publication is far enough off that they haven't started pinging me yet for comments and suggestions.

I expect they will either 1. Make the expansions or 2. Make it CCG based. They haven't suggested #2 to me, it just seems like a natural possibility.

Anyway, later, all.

Tom
Guy Incognito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, always great to hear from you.
Thanks for the update.

PS
A 3rd expansion set? WOW!!!
Ulkatur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Incognito wrote:
A 3rd expansion set? WOW!!!

Now, THAT may make it worthy to import it to Poland... Though I doubt we'll be using it, good ol' translations are still serving us well

Thanks for the news, Tom!
Alienbrain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Incorporating the 3rd Expansion Reply with quote

One way I think that you could incorporate all the expansions while allowing the flexibility to keep them separate, would be to color (or design) code the cards (or card backs) to allow easy mixing or re-separating.

Personally, I don't mind mixing them all together. But, there are some games with so many expansions that the fun is actually diluted. Carcassone comes to mind. Munchkins...

The Munchkins "series" suggests another way that multiple expansions could be marketed. That is, sell the expansions decks separately, as variants or flavors, so to speak.

Perhaps there could be core cards, containing Boosts and the most basic spells/cards (Drop Object, Create Wall, Destroy Wall, FireBall, Full Reflection, etc.) and then ALL other cards could be sold as expansions.
There could be expansions that make the most of a KILLING game, and others that make the most of a TREASURE FETCH (capture the flag) game.
The Monster and Artifact themed expansions are obvious choices, although the expansions from which they originated were actually less theme-specific.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WizWar.com Forum Index -> WizWar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: